Sunday 19 June 2011

Katies adventures in dress making land part five

I'm really enjoying going to these dress making classes!  It's such a shame that there are only about four weeks left.  It's so good to have a tutor who is so skilled and who can direct you on what to do next. 
Wednesday nights' class was very productive again.  Janet suggested that I lined the shift dress that I am making, as it would hang better and stop it from sliding.  Part of me thought "No way!  I can not possibly line anything!", but I also thought that it would be really good to at least try to do it.
So off I went, attaching my pattern pieces to the lining and cutting them out.
I sewed darts into the lining and attached the back and front pattern pieces at the shoulders.  I also attached my dress at the shoulders, had a fitting where Janet pinned the side seams, and then I sewed those too.  I was so relieved that the dress fit me!  I was so worried that I had cut the pattern pieces too small (it's a complicated business!).  In fact, I had cut the dress patterns too big!  
I still have quite a way to go, sew the side seams of the lining, attach the lining to the dress, insert the zip, attached the sleeves, attach the facing, make a belt and hem the dress... Phew!  But, so far, so good :)

Knowledge
  • Insert pins the right way around, so that they are easier to remove from the fabric while you're running it through the sewing machine.
  • Make sure the fit around the bust is accurate so that the darts sit well.
Mistakes
  • Sewing one of the darts very badly!  It was such a pain to unpick too, because it was on lining fabric, fiddly!
  • Cutting the pattern pieces too big (better to have more fabric than less though!).
Sorry that this post is way overdue, I did want to get some photographs of my dress to post too, but I am having some real problems with lighting on this dull and rainy Sunday afternoon in June!  I'm back at the dress making class tomorrow evening, so I promise some photographs in Tuesdays post instead :)

    1 comment:

    1. I want to take classes! I've managed so far to do pretty good on my own but it sure would be helpful to have somebody there to help me out.

      ReplyDelete

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...