I'm really enjoying going to these dress making classes! It's such a shame that there are only about four weeks left. It's so good to have a tutor who is so skilled and who can direct you on what to do next.
Wednesday nights' class was very productive again. Janet suggested that I lined the shift dress that I am making, as it would hang better and stop it from sliding. Part of me thought "No way! I can not possibly line anything!", but I also thought that it would be really good to at least try to do it.
So off I went, attaching my pattern pieces to the lining and cutting them out.
I sewed darts into the lining and attached the back and front pattern pieces at the shoulders. I also attached my dress at the shoulders, had a fitting where Janet pinned the side seams, and then I sewed those too. I was so relieved that the dress fit me! I was so worried that I had cut the pattern pieces too small (it's a complicated business!). In fact, I had cut the dress patterns too big!
I still have quite a way to go, sew the side seams of the lining, attach the lining to the dress, insert the zip, attached the sleeves, attach the facing, make a belt and hem the dress... Phew! But, so far, so good :)
- Insert pins the right way around, so that they are easier to remove from the fabric while you're running it through the sewing machine.
- Make sure the fit around the bust is accurate so that the darts sit well.
- Sewing one of the darts very badly! It was such a pain to unpick too, because it was on lining fabric, fiddly!
- Cutting the pattern pieces too big (better to have more fabric than less though!).